Are you losing weed from your dirty and clogged up grinder? Are you inserting buds and getting less and less when you unscrew and empty your grinder? Today, we will show you how to clean your grinder naturally with some household items!
What You’ll Need:
- A few Q-Tips
- 3-4 ounces of 50-90% Rubbing Alcohol
- Paper Towel
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- A Ziploc Bag
- Lemon Juice (optional)
How To Clean Your Grinder: Step-by-Step
Note: If you are an owner of a plastic and color grinder, use these steps with caution. Rubbing alcohol can potentially strip away painted colors on your grinder.
1. Empty and disassemble your grinder: This will ensure that we do not waste any cannabis trapped inside the grinder prior to the cleaning process. If your grinder has a keif tray, we recommend you do not include it in the cleaning process unless scraped clean prior to preserve your kief.
2. Add the rubbing alcohol and salt into the Ziploc bag: This will create a gentle yet abrasive solution that will not combine and work as a scrubber.
3. Insert each piece of the grinder one layer at a time into the solution: Seal the bag.
4. Vigorously shake the sealed solution for 5-10 minutes: You will instantly notice how the resin and trapped cannabis will begin to join the cleaning solution.
5. Remove the now clean layer of your grinder and place it on a paper towel: Repeat step 4 with the additional layers of the grinder until complete. If the solution gets murky, make a fresh batch of alcohol/salt solution in your sealable bag. If you have lemon juice, you can add to an empty sealable bag and treat your grinder. Lemon juice and other citruses are known to have rust-cutting properties, which can come in handing when cleaning a metal grinder.
6. Once all layers have had the cleaning solution applied: Use a few Q-Tips to get in the cracks and crevices of your grinder. If your grinder came with a small brush, now is the time to use it!
That’s it – we now have a sterilized and clean grinder! Let your fresh grinder dry to ensure that no water gets on your future flowers.
Free Life Hack: Put a coin in your grinder and capture more of that sweet, sweet kief.
What is a grinder?
If you do not smoke cannabis or exclusively by pre-rolls or simply have been living under a rock since the emergence of the great herb, then chances are you don’t know what a grinder is.
A Grinder is a sharp, enclosed, processing tool designed to shred your cannabis buds (or even tobacco) into smaller, appropriate herbs to fit the size of your bowl, rolling paper, or blunt. A grinder can come in all shapes, colors, materials and sizes.
Popular styles of grinders range from plastic to titanium. The processing blades of a grinder can also vary from ‘dragonteeth’ style, which is commonplace among plastic grinders, to a more complex circular shredding design style in metal housing intended to be more effective at processing your buds. Bigger brand grinders like Sharpstone usually house an extra layer designed to catch keif, or the THC-packed powder that is present in most strains of cannabis, to be used later.